COACHING MINISTERS AND COMMUNITY LEADERS PUBLIC SPEAKING
Here are a few tips and a sneak preview from Dr. Rosenberg’s book and lectures on Public Speaking:
Public Speaking is a highly structured form of conversation.
Of all the platform arts known to modern man, the oldest is public speaking: the means through which an individual communicates his thoughts on a specific subject to a specific audience for a specific purpose.
Individual coaching will help the speaker develop:
- Poise, self-confidence and effectiveness in public appearances.
- Effective, appropriate, individualized voice and speech patterns.
- The ability to prepare an original speech for delivery.
- Facility in logical presentation of arguments and the use of psychological sound persuasion techniques.
- Methods of attracting, motivating and holding an audience’s attention, including proper body use in communication, imaginative use of language and utilizing non-verbal communication.
Many people, when told they must make a public presentation,would rather have root canal surgery than make a speech. By coaching individuals on a one to one basis I teach them how to overcome stage freight. Defective handling of material and failure to adapt to the audience causes more failures than nervous tension.
- Highly experienced speakers usually feel some trepidation before they make a speech.
- Some tension is necessary for a good performance.
- Thorough preparation is the best safeguard against excessive fear.
Physical activity either just prior to speaking, or during the early moments of a speech may help some speakers to relax.
- The audience is usually favorably disposed to you.
- Lose self-consciousness by developing excitement in your own message. Transfer attention from yourself to the subject and the audience.
- Don’t apologize for being nervous.
- The following is helpful in reducing stress.
- Practice, practice, practice.
- Take a deep breath.
- Throw cold water on your face or wrists prior to speech
- Squeeze your hands together and release
- Think positively
- His TOP-TEN lecture topics include:
- “TEACHING TEENS THE HOLOCAUST”
- “ANTISEMITISM BEFORE AND AFTER THE HOLOCAUST”
- “THE HOLOCAUST AS SEEN THROUGH FILM” (FULL DAY SEMINAR AVAILABLE)
- “HOW TO SELL YOUR MESSAGE” (FULL DAY SEMINAR AVAILABLE)
- “NON-VERBAL COMMUNICATION”
- “MOTIVATIONAL AND LEADERSHIP SKILLS”
- “DATING TECHNIQUES”